Xentity, Methodology Development example (2002-2008 How TAA grew to MBT grew to OMB FSAM)
Over 6 years, it took several iterations of method, applying to projects scaling up method scope, application on programs/segments, lots of info sharing, and then promotion to base of FSAM. This is not to direct the Content of the ACT-IAC, Smart Lean Government (SLG) efforts, but how the method got developed, training material built out and trainer, how the team went out information sharing, promoting, and then helping apply to support true business transformation and modernization blueprints.
Summary of Objectives:
– Covered how Xentity and partners supported the Dept of the Interior iterate/develop the “Methodology for Business Transformation” showing some sample deliverables, templates, and visuals
– Discuss how we iterated from Bureau TAA (02-03) to DOI MBT (04-06) to OMB FSAM (07-08) through maturing from bureau, to agency, to federal through not only iterative method development, but through applying in iteration. First a few blueprints at bureau, then four at agency cutting across different driven blueprints (legal, organization development, target architecture, and shared services), then improving the method, and doing more blueprints, then doing more communications and training, and finally, promotion to OMB through collaborative integration with other methods.
– Cover lessons learned, critical success factors (i.e. framework agnostic, mapping to frameworks, culture understood, tested in 3 cycles of blueprints, breaking into services, first attempted foray into doing as NGO in 2006)
– Pitfalls (i.e. overselling, under training, lacking certification, didn’t emphasize earlier phases, limited bureau accountability, perception and politics, moving to FSAM – losing key aspects, calling it method instead of approach, perceived waterfall and not presented situational, training/maintenance budget limits)
– Cover things we would do now differently (i.e. wiki, more examples, more new Media communications)
Related Xentity links:
- Developing a Transformation Approach – Jan 2006
- Kbase – Methodology for Business Transformation (Partner Access Only at this time)
- Kbase – Federal Segment Architecture Methodology (Partner Access Only at this time)