Standardizing Digitization of Science Information
The Organization: U.S. Geological Survey Office of Enterprise Information (OEI)
The USGS serves the Nation by providing reliable scientific information to describe and understand the Earth; minimize loss of life and property from natural disasters; manage water, biological, energy, and mineral resources; and enhance and protect our quality of life. The USGS technology profile includes advanced delivery seismic, stream flow and volcano networks, integrated scientific instruments, advanced hydrology, biology, geology, geography, nuclear, minerals, astrology, seismic and other research labs & facilities, remote sensing via satellite, unmanned air vehicles and other air, land and sea based resources.
The U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), Office of Enterprise Information (OEI) is responsible for providing policy, strategic direction, and leadership for the bureau in information technology (IT), information security, information resources management, information services, and information science and all business related aspects used in the support of USGS. The organizational mission of OEI is to support the scientific mission of the USGS.
The Problem and Solution: Large Volumes of complicated Records and FOIA Information Management Support needed
USGS needed support for records digitization and management, including support for records access, records security support, records cost recovery, records transition, and assist the Records and FOIA Officer in ensuring the preservation and access to USGS information. Deep experience was needed to support implementation of the Federal Records Act, Paperwork Reduction Act, Federal Register Publications, Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA), Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), and Information Quality Act.
The Outcomes: Policies being enforced and support executed
Xentity staff have been successful in assisting the Records and FOIA Leadership at USGS in:
- Assessing and analyzing the Records and FOIA programs;
- Also, coordinating with other organizational components on records. Also, in other information programs providing guidance, coordination, and assistance in complying with Federal regulations and government policies;
- Furthermore, supporting records management in support of litigation processing, Off-Site Storage, digitization ‘scanning” projects, and drafting RRS Schedules, inventory management of electronic data and physical records,
- Also, monitoring data management reporting system(s) affecting programs with interrelated functions and operations.
- Also, extracting, summarizing, and analyzing records and information program data;
- Furthermore, preparing documentation on digitization and records management program activities for groups at various organizational levels.
- Finally, Executing FOIA support via processing and tracking FOIA Requests. Also, drafting memos and preparing responses, preparing training, reviewing responsive records, determining FOIA request validity, developing plans, and evaluating efficiencies
Xentity has provided highly qualified staff, changed staff where performance or requirements vary, and assisted in USGS executing to their records and FOIA program and project goals.